Skip to main content

Building your child’s credit (as a minor)

Building your child’s credit (as a minor)


Every one wants the best for their children. I at first had a hard time building my credit. I do not want my children to go through the same thing. Did you know you can actually build your child’s credit as a minor?  This is a crazy concept to me.

Demonstrate and discuss good credit habits 
One of the most important ways to help your children establish good credit it is to talk about how to responsibly manage credit. My 6 year old just asked me what is the difference between a debit card and a credit card. I then explained to him a debit card is money you actually have in your bank account and a credit card is money that is borrowed. I know he’s only 6 but I told him your credit score is basically your life and explained  how important it is to pay your bills on-time and not to borrow money you can’t pay back. Talking about it and actually doing it yourself can help your child to develop good credit habits.


Add your child as an authorized user on your account 
Your child can be an authorized user on your account. They do not need to actually have or use the card. You could potentially do this for your toddler. Or you could assist your older children with purchases and re-payment. This will slowly build up their credit over time.

Co-sign a credit card or a loan
This is a faster impact on your child’s credit score. The responsibility is still on you of course but I can’t say it enough educate your child on the importance of good credit habits ! You can also decide on a daily allowance depending on the creditor. Make firm rules with your child and see what apps are available to monitor spending.  This will impact your child’s credit score a lot faster than adding them on as an authorized user.


I posted some resources you can purchase below !
This post contains affiliate links: as I am an amazon associate 

>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

wedding

My dad got married this past weekend  I made him and his new wife this. They both have everything for their home and they didn't have a wedding registry. I didn't want to give them money it seemed boring so I made them this I have never cross stitched before. I think my dad really liked it. There wedding was in a cute little town in Maine. Called Wells! It was adorable they got married on a little Boardwalk on the beach.  For the first time ever I got something I wanted my whole life, sisters!!!! Aubrey and Kaylee are amazing young ladies. It was just a bonus that they both like my favorite  tv show ever, CHARMED! Haha. Seriously though they are awesome, sweet girls! The reception was held at a restaurant called Bull and Claw. Also in Wells, ME. There was steamed clams, clamchowder, salad for appetizer and I had chicken from mor my main course, my date had the lobster. Then there was. A blueberry cobbler for dessert. Along with the cake and cupcake...

Freetown state park splash pad and wading pool

Freetown state park splash pad and wading pool  The Freetown state forest splash pad and wading pool is a fenced in area with a mini wading pool about 18” deep. It has a mushroom 🍄 in the middle of the pool and  jets on the side. It is completely fenced in area with life guards on duty. . Note hours are from 9:30 am - 6:00 pm They do a 20-30 minute shut down at 12 noon and a 45 minute shut down at 2 pm. Address:110 Slab bridge rd, Assonet  MA 02702 This is a seasonal place open from Memorial Day to Labor Day varies year to year. Check the website to make sure. It’s best to go when they open at 9:30 because sometimes they get full and can not allow more people to enter until their next shut down There are grassy areas for blankets with trees and canopy’s for shade. The whole area is fenced in and out side of the fence is picnic tables and grills you can have a picnic at. There is also a bathroom outside of the fence. It is definitely a good time. Bo...

is my passion profitable?

In this day and age with the amount of technology and resources the average person has at their finger tips, We can turn anything into profit ! I'm not saying it will happen over night you will have to work at it of corse. Nothing that is worth it is easy. I promise you YOU CAN DO IT! this post contains affiliate links. I am an amazon associate  If I could I would sit at home all day crocheting and knitting like an old lady. I would sew and craft until my fingers bled. I love to be creative and make well everything and anything (or at least try to). It is my passion. Unfortunately crafting takes a lot of t ime (time and so far hasn't been as lucrative for me as I wanted it to be by now. I am not giving up. I am just taking a little break. I have a 2 month old and a 6 year old. I am not working and my boyfriend is paying for everything and it has been very tight. I appreciate him for doing this but I don't like not working. I also feel like the financial responsibil...